As conscious as we are of eating healthier these days, I assume everyone knows the outrageous magical powers of quinoa, right? All the wonders it packs into an adorable little curlicue are also wonderous on your skin. Quinoa is amazing because:
- it is a complete protein – it contains all nine essential amino acids
- science side note: amino acids link to form peptides, peptides link to form protein. For a great explanation from a professional, read this post from Kahn Academy
- its vitamin E content is a fierce free radical fighter
- the high vitamin B content may break up melanin deposits (sun/age spots)
- it contains a long list of anti-inflammatory phytonutrients
- the naturally occurring saponins make quinoa a fabulous natural cleanser
- it contains lysine, which is a building block in the production of collagen and elastin
Does this all sound too good to be true? Try it. Use quinoa flour as a one ingredient mask – only use about ¼ to ½ tsp and mix it nice and thin with water or, for ultra hydration, with coconut water. Apply to your face and leave on until it begins to dry, then rinse. You’ll see and feel the benefits of this tiny powerhouse that quickly and easily.
If you love what you see, find quinoa in our Green with Envy dry face mask.